April 10, 2007

Stopping that Gunky buildup

Tony Morgan posted this article in his blog over the weekend. The idea is that just like cars, we have gunk that builds up on us and we cannot run efficiently. Here are the lies and realities that he posted. We all need to take inventory from time to time and ask God if it's time to get the gunk out.

-Sometimes I believe the lie that I can't afford to take a break and rest. The reality is that I'm far less effective in my family and leadership roles when I'm tired and grumpy.
-Sometimes I believe the lie that I'll spend quality time with my wife at the end of the day after everything else is done. The reality is that the last things on my priority list rarely get done.
-Sometimes I believe the lie that I'll get to the big projects after I knock out the more routine tasks. The reality is that there will always be other routine tasks to complete.
-Sometimes I believe the lie that the more I do the more valuable I am to the team. The reality is that I'm not being effective if I'm busy doing the wrong things.
-Sometimes I believe the lie that the little problem I have isn't jeopardizing my leadership. The reality is that most times everyone else is already being impacted by my little problem.
-Sometimes I believe the lie that I need to correct every false statement and negative comment. The reality is that many times those faint voices become a distraction when I draw attention and make them loud.
-Sometimes I believe the lie that goals will be accomplished without a plan if I'm just patient and faithful. The reality is that most goals worth pursuing require counsel and strategy and hard work and commitment.
-Sometimes I believe the lie that I need to jump at a good opportunity. The reality is that someone will always have a good opportunity for me to pursue, and many times those good opportunities squeeze out time and energy to fulfill a great mission and calling.

No comments: